Globally recognized and award winning fortune 200 financial executive with a rare portfolio of corporate accounting, operations, financial planning/budgeting, human resources, material provisioning and process improvement experience. Twenty year business unit Controller with documented history of working with executive management to streamline business operations that drive growth, increase efficiency and expand bottom-line profit. Award winning innovator in developing financial and strategic operating plans that increase revenue and reduce cost structure, while building strong partnerships across organizational business units. Problem solving leader with strong communication and team building skills to champion key strategic initiatives while energizing and unifying the stakeholders.
Saved an historic $100M in vendor material and labor cost by creating a global planning, bidding and accounting platform for CenturyLink . . . recognized globally in the SAP and telecommunication industry (supporting nearly twenty thousand users today).
Winner of the exclusive “Circle of Excellence” award from CenturyLink (less than 10 awarded) for business plan which propelled Broadband Internet deeper into the existing network. The plan helped CenturyLink meet incremental revenue targets.
Negotiated exclusive contracts with material distributors allowing construction contractors to leverage CenturyLink’s buying power, saving millions in material cost and providing standard, consistent high quality material units.
Proven ability to think creatively, develop teams, and execute within fast-paced environments.
• Directed staff of 60, including 6 direct report Managers
• Budget Planning and Forecasting
• Financial Analysis and Reporting
• Strong GAAP Knowledge
• Cost and Fixed Assets Accounting
• Policy development and Project Coordination
• Strategic Planning and Restructuring
• Internal Controls and Cash Management
• Systems Evaluation and Development
• Developed and maintained a $2B network construction program that aligned to management’s strategic objectives, revenue units, and strategic product initiatives.
• Implemented a Systems and Process Governance team to align financial and operational disciplines while ensuring all business partners had input into the operational roadmap. This also created a “much needed” communication environment for the Project Management team in steering work activities.
• Strengthened financial controls by creating a SOX attestation tool that validated user security and functionality each quarter. The platform ensured system alignment with SOX requirements by electronically sending quarterly requests to management to attest to their employee access and functionality.
• Implemented a contractor “cable drop” billing, receiving, and payment activity tool that centralized and automated a manual, fragmented process. This tool saved nearly $2 million in last six months of 2014.
• Created a labor efficiency process for both internal and external labor sources. The platform provided each Regional Network Vice President with a force-to-load type tool to manage and control construction labor.
ROY LEE JOHNSON, JR PAGE 2
• Introduced the Infoshare program, which audited the human and nonhuman access to our network data. This process discovered employee social security number violations in the network data warehouse, but was quickly resolved.
SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS (Continued)
• Reorganized the Supply Chain Buyer organization from a regional support structure to a Vendor specific structure. This created operating efficiencies within the group and provided for better Buyer expertise.
• Established the Network team’s first Help Support Desk providing real-time assistance for accounting, system and process issues.
• Established a SS7 Data Management team to search for “phantom traffic” and to provide for a centralized team to enrich CDRs (call detail records) to support the Revenue Assurance Team.
• Selected as CenturyLink’s first Director of Financial Planning and Analysis after the merger of Wireline and Wireless business. Created the financial and operational reporting communications process used for the monthly and quarterly reviews to the Executive team. The quarterly Financial and Operating results booklet is still used today by the Executive team to prepare for the Earnings Release.
• Completely overhauled the expense operating platform to align to the new organization and to the “allocation of labor” to the various operating companies.
• Created a Plant Accounting Manual and distributed it throughout Network, Operations, and Finance. The Manuals are still used today and are available via the intranet.
CenturyLink, Monroe, Louisiana
1983 – 2015
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States, is an S&P 500 company, and is included among the Fortune 200 list of America's largest corporations. The company provides voice, data, and managed services, along with a global cloud and hosted infrastructure.
Principle, Serenity Investments
Director of Finance/Analytics (Global Net/Ops Controller) 2010 - 2015
Director of Finance and Supply Chain (Network Controller) 2001 - 2010
Director of Corporate Financial Planning and Analysis 1996 - 2001
Director of Business Planning (reported to President) 1991 - 1996
Corporate Accounting Manager
1986 - 1991
Supervisor of Plant Accounting
1985 - 1986
Plant Accounting Accountant
1983 - 1985
Graduate of the University of Louisiana at Monroe
Valedictorian of High School Class, T. H. Harris Scholarship
Personal and Corporate Tax expert, Principle of a consulting and preparation service.
Key Note speaker at SAP UK User Conference in Great Britain
Industry Cost Study Committee (Met FCC Commissioner Kenna)
Preferable Monroe, Shreveport, Alexandria, Jackson (MS), South Ark. Areas
Name & Surname
City & State
420 Lakefront Drive